Youth Service, Inc. is a non-profit organization that has provided immediate shelter and support services to Philadelphia’s children, youth and families for 70 years. YSI offers unique programs and niche services throughout the city, including Philadelphia’s only Crisis Nursery program and the longest standing shelter in the area for runaway and homeless teens. Through shelter, counseling, and in-home support services, YSI reaches more than 4,000 clients annually, the majority of whom live below the poverty level.
Youth Service, Inc. strives to be an inclusive, affirming and safe place for all who are involved in our agency as employees, clients, partners, etc. regardless of race, ethnicity, LGBTQIA+ identification, physical/developmental ability, or background.
Youth Service, Inc. (YSI) is dedicated to strengthening the family unit, helping at-risk teens and promoting child safety. For 70 years, YSI has upheld a tradition of excellence, dedicated to meeting the changing needs of youth and families in Philadelphia. Our mission is to offer accessible, quality services to at-risk youth and families. We accomplish this by providing comprehensive services that strengthen families, foster self-sufficiency and develop the health and well-being of children and the family unit.
For 70 years Youth Service, Inc. (YSI) has provided essential programs and support services to vulnerable children and families in Philadelphia. Created through the merger of two dedicated children’s residential programs, Bethesda Christian Home of Chestnut Hill and the Church Mission of Help, YSI was the first agency in Philadelphia to welcome children of all races to its programs. Its programs were established to provide compassionate, high-quality, child-focused care to all children regardless of their ethnic or religious background…READ MORE >
- Emergency shelter for homeless and runaway teens
- 24-hour emergency care for young children
- Parenting skills classes and counseling
- Truancy prevention services
- Family-based services in the home
YSI receives funds from:
- The Philadelphia Department of Human Services
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey
- The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Departments of Human Service, Education and Agriculture
- Foundations, corporations, businesses, religious and philanthropic groups and individuals
YSI is licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Human Service.
- Child Welfare League of America
- The Pennsylvania Council of Children, Youth and Family Services
- National Crittenton, which provides national advocacy for critical issues impacting young women and their families, marketing, program development and the talent and expertise of peer agencies across the country.
- United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey
- YSI is a partner with the Promise Zone efforts in West Philadelphia and, more specifically, with the efforts to improve outcomes for early learners through Action for Early Learning.
United Way Workplace Giving
You can direct a donation to Youth Service, Inc. by designating our agency #00139 on your United Way pledge form.
Combined Federal Campaign Workplace Giving
Federal employees can direct a donation to Youth Service, Inc. by designating our agency #96778 on the Combined Federal Campaign form.
Supplier Diversity Policy
Please click here to view the agency’s Supplier Diversity Policy. There are currently no opportunities available at this time.
GWENDOLYN BAILEY, LSW
Phone: 215-222-3262 ext. 2027
Director, Family Based Prevention Services:
ERICA MAKOWSKI, LSW
Phone: 215-848-6200 ext. 4012
Program Manager, Crisis Nursery and Teen Success:
LESLIE RINEHART, MHS
Phone: 215-386-0251 Ext 2244